The "Big Secret" that the Parliamentary Secretary sent to the Information Ministry, Zainuddin Maidin, popularly known as Zam, has finally been revealed.
2 Reformasi Websites, Mahazalim and Webreformis, listed the names of the Federal Ministers and Chief Ministers implicated in sexual misconduct…
On 2 April 2002, the Star reported Zam as saying that Ustaz Taib Azzamuden Mohd Taib is "keeping a big secret". Ustaz (religious teacher) Taib, who is now the Member of Parliament for Baling, Kedah, was one-time Grand Imam of the National Mosque.
According to the New Straits Times of 29 April 2002, Muhammad Mohd Taib, one of UMNO’s Vice Presidents, and Khalil Yaakob, the previous Secretary General of UMNO said that the Ustaz "was reluctant to reveal the truth… with regards to a serious national issue."
Then, on 2 May 2002, Muhyiddin Yassin, another UMNO Vice President, urged the Ustaz to reveal the "big secret" that he was privy to in his tenure as the Grand Imam of the National Mosque. This plea was carried by the national radio stations.
On 7 May 2002, Ustaz Taib held a press conference at the PAS Headquarters in Kuala Lumpur to reveal the "big secret" Zam had accused him of "hiding" from the public.
"In my tenure as the Grand Imam of the National Mosque from 1992 to 1999, and the number two from 1986, various individuals and parties, in particular from the government, referred many matters to me for my views, guidance, advice and counseling service" explained the Ustaz.
"These were mainly problems related to Islamic matters and normally personal and confidential in nature." "However, I have been challenged by Zam (Zainuddin Maidin), Muhammad Mohd Taib, Khalil Yaakob, and Muhyiddin Yassin to come clean and reveal what I know."
"As a Muslim, it is my duty to dispel all rumours and speculation and ensure that no one is under suspect. Therefore, on the insistence of these people, I have no choice but to clear the air and reveal the truth."
The Ustaz then went through the list of "big secrets" that he had kept inside of him for so long. He, however, did not name names and said he would only do it if Zam insisted so. Today, the Reformasi Websites identified all those that the Ustaz would not name:
1. A Chief Editor of a mainstream newspaper who had an affair with a young girl while his wife lay paralysed in bed –Zam himself.
2. A Chief Minister who eloped to Thailand to secretly marry his second wife
–Muhammad Mohd Taib (Then Chief Minister of Selangor).
3. A Federal Minister who was caught with a female artiste in a Port Dickson hotel room –Najib Tun Razak (Defence Minister) and Ziana Zain.
4. A Federal Minister whose brother was arrested for drug trafficking
5. A Federal Minister who had an affair with someone else’s wife that eventually resulted in a broken marriage
6. A Chief Minister who had an affair with someone else’s wife that eventually resulted in a broken marriage
–Muhammad Mohd Taib.
7. A Chief Minister who had an affair with an under-aged girl
– Rahim Tambi Chik (Then Melaka Chief Minister).
8. A Chief Minister who had an affair with a girl who eventually gave birth to an illegitimate child
–Shahidan Kassim (Perlis Chief Minister).
9. A Chief Minister who kept an under-aged mistress at a condominium in Kuala Lumpur
10. A religious leader who had an illicit affair and who is now holding a prominent position in a very important government religious body -Ismail Ibrahim of the National Fatwah Council.
11. A Chief Minister who had an affair with his sister-in-law who have birth to an illegitimate child
–Abu Hassan Omar (then Selangor Chief Minister).